Categories of hosting services
A hosting solution implies stockpiling and/or sharing given web content on a web hosting server administered by a website hosting provider. There are different types of hosting services used for different aims, so let's take a gaze at these. In this way, you can determine what you want, on the basis of whether you'd like to run a web portal, electronic mail accounts, or to share files with mates and partners.
- File hosting: a solution delivered by particular providers, which enables you to share large files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archived documents, etc. This solution is also known as file storage, and its only designation is to share files, since it does not offer web site uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either receive an accidentally created download link for each of them, or you will be able to examine an inventory of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to see .html or .php web files in your browser. Free-of-charge file hosting solutions are frequently supported by displaying ads by the download links, while a timer makes you wait for a given span of time to observe them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you get a paid file hosting account, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download straight away, and also there is no restriction when it comes to the download speed or the file size.
These days, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting traders, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more trendy "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly inapt interpretation of the actual connotation of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting environment would allocate the load between separate hosts of web servers in a cluster, which are committed to serving various site hosting services (email, web space, stats, DNS, databases, web space hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is just a type of a storage space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: close to file hosting; given vendors provide a hosting solution for pictures solely. This hosting kind is appropriate if you want to share a big number of pictures with friends or partners since the service is generally free of cost. You will receive a randomly generated link for every pic or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be used for sites.
- E-mail hosting: a solution committed to taking care of your e-mails. Some distributors provide web site hosting solutions for sites, but do not offer an e-mail hosting service. If you want to open a mail address with your domain name but do not wish to own a web site, then the email hosting solution is what you need. You can open e-mailbox accounts and manage them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The e-mail hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this service enables you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a certain video, or you can embed the video file in your website that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of using this approach instead of uploading the video clip in a web hosting account is that the video file brings about a particular amount of central processing unit load, so with a handful of videos and a few hundred website visitors, you may have difficulty with your web page hosting reserves. Embedding the video file will permit you to manage as many video files as you desire without hassling about system resources.
- Web page hosting: this is the service that you need if you would like to run a website. To some degree, it encompasses all of the aforesaid hosting kinds since, along with your web pages, you can also host pics and files, you can create databases and email accounts, upload video clips, and so on. At VB Tech Hosting, for example, you can have a glimpse at web hosting and dedicated hosting packages that permit you to get all of the abovementioned solutions in one single place. There may be restrictions based on the sort of hosting service that you've chosen - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your site hosting package may be better or worse in comparison with the customary e-mail/file/video/image hosting packages that are devised for specific web content only.